+ Truth Telling
Are you wanting to learn the historical, political & cultural context of Australia through a First Nations lens?
You have taken the first step by arriving at this page wondering if this course is for you.
Cultural Awareness is being aware of and sensitive to the different elements that not only make up your culture but that of others from different cultural backgrounds.
It is understanding other ways of knowing, being & doing so that we can see from another perspective. It is the foundation of effective communication but most importantly a way of showing respect when working with someone who holds a different set of cultural values than your own.
In this case, it’s about telling the truth of how this country came to be. About the sacrifice, genocide & absolute resilience of Australia’s First Nations people.
Not only will you learn about Aboriginal Australia from a historical perspective we also take an in depth look at Aboriginal affairs from a current political, social and cultural perspective.
This is where the key to your ally-ship lies.
Awareness is always the first step. You will gain an in-depth understanding of the role not only the Aboriginal community plays but you play in the healing and responsibility of our nation.
30 DAY IMMERSION
The CATT 30 day immersion is an opportunity to immerse yourself in what’s possibly a very different version of history than what you were taught in school.
The real history of Aboriginal Australia. It might be uncomfortable – in fact, it will be uncomfortable, but as a Nation we must learn to be comfortable with being uncomfortable in order to grow and start to walk together in a meaningful and productive way.
This course has evolved over the past 2 and a half years and its now time for to me 'retire' the 7-week immersion. I have loved every minute of delivering this content in this way, but it's time for change.
WHAT YOU GET
- 9 pre-recorded lessons
- 7 hours of accompanying viewing material
- 2 live calls with Mikaela Egan
- Recommended reading and viewing list
- Deep listening guided meditation
- Interactive pdf workbook for note taking
- Unique log-in with lifetime access
- Certificate on completion
The course is self-paced and over 30 days you will receive drip scheduled content directly to your inbox. At the end of the 30 days you will have lifetime access to the course materials.
You’ll receive 9 pre-recorded lessons as well as accompanying materials covering the historical, cultural and political context of Aboriginal Australia.
There are 2 live calls included where we will have an opportunity to connect and you can be in a brave space to ask questions and unpack the course material.
You’ll learn about different topics each lesson and have the opportunity to spend time reflecting and integrating with reflective prompts to guide you. You'll also receive a deep listening guided meditation to support your learning experience.
WHAT'S COVERED IN THIS COURSE:
The Historical, Political & Cultural Context
- European Discovery, British Invasion & 'Terra-Nullius'
- 500 Nations (Aboriginal Australia)
- Dispossession, Disease & Conflict
- Introduction to Protection and Assimilation Policies
Treatment & Survival
- Government policy implications
- Intro to the Mission and Reserve System
- Stolen Wages
Aboriginal Society Pre-Colonisation
- Kinship & Social Structures
- Beliefs, Customs & Traditions
- The Christian Influence
The Stolen Generations &
Walking In Two Worlds
- The Stolen Generations
- The National Apology (2008)
- What Does It Mean To Walk In Two Worlds?
Movements, Activism & Resilience
- Aboriginal Advocacy & Leadership
- The Beginning Of Recognition
- Activism & Civil Rights
- A Timeline Of Historic Moments
Aboriginal People Today
- Aboriginal Identity
- Policies & Progress
- The Health & Wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People
Language, Terminology & Protocol
- Appropriate Language & Terminology
- Values & Protocols
The Strength in Your Story
- Your Ways of Knowing, Being & Doing
- Personal Self-reflection
- Culture & Identity
Are you ready to walk together on this journey?
THIS IS FOR YOU
- Be a space to ask questions (something to take advantage of)
- Give you the time and space to check in on your own cultural bias and learn ways in which we can effectively walk together
- We meet you where you are.
- 20 + hours of cultural awareness learning material
- A unique log in with lifetime access to the course
- A brave space to feel it all and be held in that space
- Begin or further your awareness of Aboriginal Australia and Australia’s Black history
WITH LOVE & SOLIDARITY
I’m so looking forward to connecting with you all and seeing the new connexions you make with each other.
You are thinking about embarking on some pretty deep & important work and I thank you for trusting me to guide you through.
With Love & Solidarity,